i-CAT® Technology Provides Accurate Diagnosis and Less Radiation
At Knight Orthodontics, we are committed to providing our patients with the most accurate and appropriate care possible. Dr. L. Douglas Knight uses modern innovative technology in his Louisville, KY and Radcliff, KY offices to diagnose his patients. The i-CAT® is a 3-D cone beam imaging tool that captures several views of the oral and maxillofacial structures. This technology offers a faster scan than traditional 2-D radiographs, capturing all necessary images in less than one minute. Since i-CAT® captures both the hard and soft tissues of your craniofacial structures, Dr. Knight can rotate the final captured image to assess your orthodontic condition from multiple perspectives. Using adjustable settings, it is possible to customize the field of view, magnifying locations of interest.
One of the most beneficial aspects of i-CAT® technology, is that it emits 90 percent less radiation than traditional x-ray devices. The result is a high-quality image that provides more accuracy than conventional methods, while also protecting you from harmful side effects. Advances in modern dentistry have made it possible to provide patients with a more accurate diagnosis and a fully customized treatment plan. Put simply, it is a responsible approach to patient care.
What Happens During an i-CAT® Scan?
If Dr. Knight recommends that you have an i-CAT® scan, do not worry! They are simple to perform, and take less than a minute. You will be seated, where you will remain as stationary as possible. There are no uncomfortable films or sensors to be placed inside your mouth. Instead, you will close down on a bite stick to help maintain proper position. Once you are in place, the machine will rotate around your head, capturing hundreds of images, which will be combined to create a precise 3-D image. The i-CAT® machine boasts a sleek design, which helps eliminate any feelings of claustrophobia. Because patients are seated the entire time, they are typically comfortable throughout the duration of the scan.
Advantages of i-CAT® Technology
Up-to-date diagnostic technology can help Dr. Knight build a more accurate treatment plan for your specific needs. The i-CAT® also offers several benefits for our patients:
- More conservative than traditional x-rays: In orthodontics, an i-CAT® scan can replace up to four traditional x-rays typically needed to diagnose.
- Eliminates the need for traditional impressions: The i-CAT® can be used to fabricate study models, so there is no need for the unpleasant experience of traditional dental impressions using alginate.
- Fully digital: In some cases, Dr. Knight may work alongside other specialists to provide proper treatment. Because the i-CAT® is completely digital, the files can easily be shared with other clinicians. Additionally, the scan can be reviewed with you, on the same day as your appointment, helping you visualize what Dr. Knight is seeing.
- Significant decrease in radiation: The i-CAT® emits ten times less radiation than a medical CT scan, and half the dose of a full mouth series of dental x-rays (FMX).
- Predictability: Because the i-CAT® provides complete and precise information, it allows Dr. Knight to give you an accurate idea of your customized treatment timeline.
Call Us to Schedule a Visit
If you are concerned you may need orthodontic treatment, schedule a consultation with Dr. Knight. With the use of innovative technology, he can determine a treatment plan that is right for you. Schedule an appointment online, or call our office at (502) 327-6453 (Louisville) or (270)351-5151 (Radcliff).
Dr. Knight is so nice and you get treated so well there. Everyone is nice and friendly. They always make sure you’re taken care of.A Patient