Orthodontic Treatment Offers Several Benefits for Your Smile’s Appearance and Function
Orthodontic treatment is not limited to straightening teeth. While correcting your smile’s appearance, orthodontics can create better function and improve your overall health. Dr. L. Douglas Knight will assess your unique dental needs at our Louisville, KY or Radcliff, KY office. Using modern digital imaging, Dr. Knight can evaluate and diagnose your case, then design a customized treatment plan specific to your needs. At Knight Orthodontics, we focus on comprehensive dental care, to ensure that your teeth will be in the ideal position for oral function and jaw joint health. When teeth do not fit together properly, other dental problems may arise. By improving the accuracy of your bite, we will be improving jaw function, the potential for good gum health, and chewing efficiency. The result will be a beautiful smile that can offer a lifetime of benefits.
Our patients truly are the top priority. It is our mission to provide outstanding customer service in a compassionate, professional, and fun environment. Dr. Knight and our welcoming staff will do all we can to make certain that you receive the highest quality of orthodontic care.
Orthodontic Treatment for Patients of Any Age
Modern technology has vastly improved every field of dentistry. Today, patients of any age can enjoy the advantages of orthodontic treatment. There are many treatment options available, and because each patient is unique, Dr. Knight selects the best suited option for each case. In addition to traditional metal braces, we also offer a clear option for patients concerned with aesthetics. Those who want a little more personality can even choose different colors for their braces.
Some of our orthodontic treatments are:
- Braces: The most common orthodontic treatment, braces use a combination of brackets, wires, and bands to apply gentle, constant force that shifts teeth into their proper position.
- Space maintainers: When a primary (baby) tooth is lost prematurely, a space maintainer can hold the space for the permanent (adult) tooth. Space maintainers can be fixed or removable and are removed once the permanent tooth erupts.
- Splint: This jaw repositioning appliance trains the jaw to hold joints in a more satisfactory position. Splints are worn on either the upper or lower arch and are a common treatment for temporomandibular joint disorders.
- Palatal expanders: When a patient’s palate is too narrow, a palatal expander may be used to widen it. A plate is placed in the roof of the mouth, and an appropriate amount of force is applied to achieve the desired results.
- Lip or cheek bumpers: Sometimes the muscles in the lips or cheeks can put excessive pressure on teeth. Bumpers are placed to keep the lips and/or cheeks away from the teeth to alleviate unnecessary pressure.
- Headgear: This device can decelerate the growth of the upper jaw and is often used to correct a severe overbite. It is connected to a metal wire called a face bow, then attached to a strap that wraps around the head or neck.
- Removable retainers: This device is commonly worn following braces, to keep teeth from moving back into their previous positions.
With all orthodontic appliances, teeth are carefully moved using gentle, constant force. Advances in orthodontics allow Dr. Knight to move teeth more efficiently and with better comfort. Routine checkups will be performed to make sure that teeth are moving to their new position according to the treatment plan.
Treatment Time for Orthodontic Procedures
To ensure time efficiency with your orthodontic treatment plan, the most important thing you can do is maintain routine checkups. By scheduling and attending all of your appointments, Dr. Knight can help you meet your goals in a timely manner.
Because each patient is unique, treatment times vary. On average, an orthodontic treatment plan takes approximately 18-24 months to complete. In some cases, multiple phases are advised.
Schedule an Orthodontic Consultation
If your teeth are misaligned, you may benefit from orthodontic treatment. To determine if you are a candidate, call our office at (502) 327-6453 (Louisville) or (270) 351-5151 (Radcliff), or visit Knight Orthodontics online to schedule a consultation.