Orthodontics for Teens Provide Comprehensive and Long-Lasting Dental Care
The teenage years are extremely busy. The last thing many young adults want to do is wear braces. However, with modern advancements in the field of orthodontics, wearing braces in your teenage years has never been easier! At Knight Orthodontics in Louisville, KY and Radcliff, KY, many of us remember what it was like to wear braces. Our team is here to help you throughout the duration of your treatment, so if you have questions or concerns, just ask! Dr. L. Douglas Knight specializes in orthodontic treatment, and can help you understand exactly what is necessary to achieve the beautiful smile you want.
Orthodontic Treatment Timeline
Your custom treatment will depend on your individual needs, so treatment times can vary. However, the average treatment time for braces is approximately 18 months. When you see Dr. Knight for your orthodontic assessment, he will explain your treatment plan in detail, and give you an idea of how long you will need to wear your appliance. The most important thing you can do is implement compliance with Dr. Knight’s recommendations. Properly caring for your braces can help ensure you complete your orthodontic treatment in a timely manner.
Personalized Options for Your Unique Goals
Expressing individuality is important for everyone. At Knight Orthodontics, we offer different types of braces to accommodate your specific style:
- Traditional metal braces: Metal braces are constructed out of surgical-grade stainless steel, and are typically what people imagine when they think of braces. Advancements in the field of orthodontics have improved metal braces over the years. They are now more comfortable and sleek than they were a few decades ago. You can even personalize them by choosing colorful elastics!
- Ceramic braces: This is a popular choice for patients who want their braces to be less noticeable. Ceramic braces work the same way as their metal counterpart. However, instead of stainless steel, the brackets are fabricated out of ceramic or porcelain. Additionally, the arch wire is frosted in order to make the color blend in more with your natural teeth. Ceramic braces can be more delicate, so it is important to properly care for them.
- Invisible braces: Clear custom trays can be fabricated to help move your teeth into their desired positions. It is important to understand this treatment is not an ideal option for everyone, and is typically used in very minor cases. However, eligible patients enjoy this type of orthodontic treatment, as the trays can be removed in order to brush and floss your teeth. Keep in mind, it is extremely important to wear your trays as directed, as forgetting to do so can result in a longer treatment time.
Food Restrictions While Wearing Braces
Living with braces can be accompanied by a few minor limitations. By avoiding certain foods during your treatment process, you will safeguard against damage to your orthodontic appliances. Though braces will not significantly affect your diet, it is important to avoid these foods:
- Sticky foods: gum, caramel, taffy
- Crunchy foods: ice, popcorn, chips
- Hard foods: candy, nuts
- Foods you must bite into: apples, carrots, corn on the cob
- Chewy foods: hard bread, bagels
- Negative chewing habits: chewing on pens, pencils, or fingernails
Schedule Your Orthodontic Visit Today
Wearing braces as a teenager is much easier than it used to be. Receiving proper orthodontic treatment now will help you attain the smile of your dreams! If you think you may need braces, schedule a visit with Dr. Knight. You can contact us online, or call our office at (502) 327-6453 (Louisville) or (270) 351-5151 (Radcliff).