Oral Hygiene is Even More Important When You Wear Braces
When you wear braces, brushing and flossing can be quite a challenge. But did you know it is even more important to maintain proper dental hygiene while undergoing your orthodontic treatment? Plaque can build up around the bands, arch wires, and brackets, so it is important that you learn how to properly clean your teeth while wearing your braces. Dr. L. Douglas Knight and his team have proudly served the Louisville, KY and Radcliff, KY areas for many years, and will help you develop proper techniques for oral hygiene, and provide you with the necessary tools to keep your smile sparkling!
Oral Hygiene Tips and Tricks
There are a few extra things to consider when you are living life with braces. Understanding and exercising proper hygiene can help keep your mouth healthy while you are achieving your new smile. Here are a few things that may help:
- Use fluoride toothpaste: Fluoride toothpaste helps keep your tooth enamel strong, and protects against decay. Whitening toothpaste is not recommended during orthodontic treatment, as discoloration can occur once your brackets come off.
- Use a soft toothbrush: You should never use a hard toothbrush. Soft brushes are just as effective, and also protect your gums and prevent damage to your braces.
- Brush for at least two minutes: When wearing braces, brush for at least two minutes to ensure all tooth surfaces, brackets, bands and wires are being cleaned properly. You may need more than two minutes. Simply brush everything thoroughly and do not stop until you are confident everything is clean.
- Begin in a different area of your mouth each time you brush: This may seem counterintuitive. However, by starting in different areas of the mouth, you reduce the risk of gum recession, which can occur over time if you brush too hard.
- Utilize floss threaders or an equivalent: Braces can make flossing more difficult. Be sure you use something between the teeth to keep those areas clean. It is imperative that you floss at least once per day to decrease bacteria and help prevent decay and gum disease. There are several products on the market today that can help make cleaning between the teeth easier. Dr. Knight can work with you to determine which techniques will work best for you.
OrthoEssentials is a program that is available through the partnership of Crest® and Oral-B®. This resource can be incredibly useful for orthodontic patients, as it provides products and technique guidelines that will help you properly clean your teeth throughout the duration of your treatment. When proper protocol is not followed, patients can experience an increase in common dental problems such as demineralization, tartar, and gingivitis. Maintaining good oral hygiene can help make sure you complete your orthodontic treatment in a timely manner and achieve your beautiful new smile!
Gum inflammation, or gingivitis, is common in patients who wear braces. OrthoEssentials provides a convenient kit that orthodontic patients of any age can use to combat inflammation. It includes the PRO-HEALTH® SYSTEM, an excellent collection of products that have been clinically proven to help reduce and eliminate gingivitis. The Clinical PRO-HEALTH® SYSTEM for gingivitis includes:
- Oral-B® ProfessionalCare® SmartSeriesä 5000 Electric Toothbrush
- Glide® PRO-HEALTH® dental floss
- Crest® PRO-HEALTH® Clinical Gum Protection Toothpaste
- Crest® PRO-HEALTH® Multi-Protection Rinse
You will also be provided with educational material and instructions on how to maximize your dental hygiene and keep your smile healthy while wearing braces.
Schedule a Visit Today
If you would like to learn more about proper oral hygiene, schedule a visit with Dr. Knight. You can visit us online to schedule an appointment, or call our office at (502) 327-6453 (Louisville) or (270) 351-5151 (Radcliff).