Choosing Invisalign® for Your Orthodontic Treatment
There are several options for straightening teeth in the field of orthodontics. Recent advances in dentistry have allowed us to treat patients more effectively and efficiently than ever before. One of the most popular modern innovations for correcting crooked teeth is the Invisalign® system. Comprised of a series of custom, clear plastic trays, this method can move teeth into their desired positions with a gentle, constant force. Invisalign® is a wonderful solution for many patients, and is provided by Dr. L. Douglas Knight in his Louisville, KY and Radcliff, KY locations.
Reasons to Choose Invisalign®
Patients all over the world enjoy the benefits of Invisalign®. Offering simplicity and great aesthetics, it is a wonderful solution for many teens and adults. Some advantages of the Invisalign® system include:
- Confidence and convenience: The clear trays can be removed for special events, if desired. This means no prom, wedding, or birthday photos of you with braces or aligners.
- Aesthetics: Their clear, sleek design is an optimal choice for many patients.
- Motivation for compliance: Each tray has a small, blue indicator dot built in that fades with use. This is the perfect motivator to ensure you are wearing your Invisalign® trays with enough frequency and consistency.
- No dietary restrictions: Because the trays are removable, no dietary precautions are necessary. You can continue to eat all of your favorite foods while undergoing treatment!
- Brush and floss with ease: Traditional braces make it difficult to clean around them. Because Invisalign® is removable, you can brush and floss just like normal.
- Cost: Although fees for any treatment can vary, the overall cost of Invisalign® is comparable to traditional braces. Our financial options make it easier than ever for you to plan your treatment.
- Comfort: There are no metal wires or brackets to get in your way, so lip and cheek irritation is not likely.
- Treatment time: For patients needing minor correction, Invisalign® treatment may take as little as six months.
Disadvantages of Invisalign®
When deciding on treatment, education is key. It is important to understand the pros and cons of any procedure. Dr. Knight embraces three levels of orthodontics to provide comprehensive care for his patients. In every treatment case, optimal results will be achieved by assessing bite function and health in addition to aesthetics. This includes addressing problems with the TMJ, occlusion, and airways. Used exclusively for straightening teeth, Invisalign® does not address all three levels of orthodontic care. At Knight Orthodontics, we want you to see the big picture. Below are disadvantages of Invisalign® treatment:
- Does not correct bite function: The most notable downside to Invisalign® is the lack of bite correction. Traditional braces address occlusal issues which affect the way your teeth function. Invisalign® is limited to straightening teeth, and does not address function or health.
- “Invisible” might not mean unnoticeable: Many patients are surprised to find out they may need additional attachments to supplement their trays. These attachments are often small, tooth-colored buttons that are affixed to the tooth surfaces. This provides more movement for challenging cases. Unfortunately, they may be visible to others.
- Lengthy wear time: The prescribed wear time for Invisalign® is 22 hours a day. This means that forgetting to wear the trays can result in longer treatment time.
- Possible increase in tooth decay: In certain cases, Invisalign® can put patients at a greater risk for tooth decay. Because the teeth are encased, or “sealed off”, from the rest of the mouth, they miss out on the natural benefits of saliva, which can help prevent cavities. However, most people will not have this problem if they follow the recommended oral hygiene protocol.
- Limitations to success: There are several factors that go into orthodontic treatment. If you have other existing dental problems that remain unaddressed, Invisalign® could limit or even hinder your success.
The Invisalign® Treatment Process
Once you have decided to take the step toward your new smile, we hope you will visit Knight Orthodontics. When using the Invisalign® system, here is the process you can expect:
- Initial consultation: During your first visit, Dr. Knight will assess your smile and determine your custom treatment plan.
- Impressions of your teeth: Impressions will be taken in order to fabricate your custom trays.
- Delivery of your Invisalign trays: Once your trays arrive, you will begin treatment immediately.
- Active progress: Knight will monitor your progress and let you know when to change out your trays.
- Maintenance: Once your treatment is complete, you will wear a retainer to prevent shifting.
Contact Us to Schedule an Appointment
If you would like to learn more about orthodontic options including Invisalign®, you can arrange a complimentary visit with Dr. Knight. Schedule an appointment online, or call our office at (502) 327-6453 (Louisville) or (270) 351-5151 (Radcliff).